About the Mater:
The Mater Misericordiae University Hospital is the main charitable and voluntary general hospital serving Dublin’s north inner city. It celebrated its 150th birthday last year.It is a university teaching hospital providing acute and tertiary specialist services. The population of its local catchment area is approximately 185,000.The Mater hospital has approximately 600 beds (at full capacity) including day beds and approximately 2480 nursing staff.
Each year the Mater:
- · Admits approximately 16,500 patients, including 13,000 emergencies;
- · Sees approximately 40,000 patients for day cases;
- · Treats 47,500 in its Emergency Department;
- · Treats in excess of 220,000 outpatients (including dialysis).
The Mater hospital is the national centre for:
- · Cardiac surgery:
- · Heart and Lung Transplantation;
- · Extra Corporeal Life Support (ECLS);
- · Spinal injuries;
- · Pulmonary hypertension;
- · National Isolation Unit; and
- · Bone Anchored Hearing Aid.